Does Indian Gooseberry sound unfamiliar to you? Well, you may know it better as ‘Amla’, the age old herbal ingredient -which you will find in every Indian household. Modern scientists and nutritionists are waking up to the incredible benefits this magic herb provides. Also called as ‘Divya’ or ‘Amrit’ in Ayurveda, read on to find out more about what this magical herb has to offer.
Basic facts about Amla
Bracketed under the fruit category, it is scientifically known as ‘Phyllanthus emblica’ and called ‘Amalaki’ in Sanskrit. Cultivated predominantly in South India, it is abundantly grown in the Indian subcontinent. Those of you who have tasted it raw, would agree that it gives you a burst of varied flavours like sweet, sour and astringent as well as bitter and pungent - all at the same time! With numerous medicinal benefits, it also holds a much esteemed position in our Vedic scriptures and is one of the main ingredients in Ayurvedic medicines. It can help you get rid of multiple ailments. Did you know that we even have an Indian festival called ‘Amalaka Ekadashi’ celebrated as an ode to this miraculous fruit?
Exploring the various benefits of Amla
When fresh, the fruit also offers various healthy components to make you radiant and completely balanced, both internally and externally. A terrific thing about the fruit is that it does not lose its magical ingredients even when it is dried and stored. Nearly every part of this plant is useful and it can be safely called your ‘one stop destination’ for health and beauty benefits.
Consuming one amla a day can load you with a number of benefits.
- Consuming one amla a day can load you with a number of benefits.
- Amla is a terrific aid for your digestive system. Rich in vitamins like A and K, and loaded with minerals like calcium, potassium, magnesium, folate, dietary fibres, and so on it can detoxify your liver and strengthen the overall digestive system. A fantastic antacid, it also helps regularize and boost bowel movements to keep your intestine bulk free. Its 70 % water content keeps you super hydrated which inevitably reflects in the healthy glow of your skin! Try a glass of gooseberry juice after a heavy meal and watch the magic begin!
- Owing to its high water content and abundant anti-oxidant and anti-inflammatory properties, the fruit is an awesome natural detoxifier. Its juice can easily flush out free radicals from your body. Regular consumption of gooseberries may help in treating various illnesses like kidney stones, fever, constipation, diarrhea, dysentery and so on.
- The gooseberry is rich in ‘chromium’ and polyphenols which helps boost secretion of, ‘Insulin’ – a hormone -that is present in the pancreas. It also enhances the absorption of insulin in the body, thus helping in controlling diabetes. A mix of a little amla powder with honey and turmeric, can do wonders in less than a month! Research shows that reduces LDL cholesterol levels and triglycerides level from the blood, thereby helping your heart stay safe from blockages and any other threats!
- This wonder herb is not only terrific for the immune system, but is equally fantastic for your skin and hair. It is the best natural ingredient for anti-aging. It nourishes your system internally that will leave you with lustrous hair and glowing skin. You can even make a mask out of it and apply it externally on your skin and hair to see the difference.
Indian gooseberry has an endless list of benefits which can keep you hale, hearty and youthful for years to come. Make it a part of your daily diet and watch it make a difference to your health. If you’ve been long looking around for this herb, simply introduce HiOwna to your diet. HiOwna is a nutritional health supplement that contains a good amount of Indian gooseberry. What are you waiting for? Benefit from the Indian gooseberry today!